You’ve likely heard this statistic before, but more people are afraid of public speaking than death.
If you are anxious, uncomfortable, or downright scared of public speaking, there are techniques to boost lessen your anxiety and boost your confidence.
Transforming an anxious mindset into an excited mindset can open the door to endless possibilities.
Here are 4 tips to start your journey!
- Think of yourself as a megaphone for your message. By shifting your focus from yourself to your purpose, you can lessen your anxiety about being judged.
- If you forget: keep on going! Nobody knows exactly what you’re going to say, so they won’t know if you missed a point. You can always circle back, but if you stop and try to remember, you will lose your momentum and confidence.
- This isn’t about “you” versus “them”. You’re all on the same team. Whether you’re at a networking event, company presentation, or conference- people are typically there for the same purpose: to learn, connect, and enjoy!
- Opportunity not obstacle. Shift your mindset to think about public speaking as an opportunity to share your purpose, not a chore to quickly get through. The more you are excited about sharing your purpose and message, the less anxious you will feel.
- Perfection doesn’t exist. It is so important to be kind to yourself. We are often our own harshest critics. Embracing a growth mindset instead of a fixed mindset can help lessen your anxiety.
If you’re interested in more mindset tools (including a powerful thought tool you can use for any situation) and strategies, contact me!